AIR Initiative Update
Last year Master-Bilt® introduced the AIR Initiative as an answer to the EPA’s Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP), which calls for de-listing of certain HFC refrigerants including R-404A and R-134a. The AIR Initiative originally outlined the use of HFO blended refrigerants and foaming agents to meet SNAP guidelines. We’re now expanding the program to include not only blends but natural refrigerants such as R-290 (propane) as well. Adding natural refrigerants to the mix allows us to provide the most complete product line in the industry including remote and self-contained cabinets, walk-ins, single compressor condensing units and multi-compressor rack refrigeration systems.
A blended refrigerant is a combination of two or more single component refrigerants. Blends provide many advantages including:
- Up to 84% reduction in global warming potential when compared to traditional HFCs
- Increased energy efficiency and similar performance characteristics compared to HFCs
- Approved and supported by major component manufacturers
- No charge limitations
- Continue to use current standard thermostatic expansion valves, filter driers and solenoid valves
- They are extensively field tested as drop-in replacements with no equipment, lubricant or seal changes
- No special aftermarket service requirements
Natural refrigerants are chemicals which occur in nature’s bio-chemical process. There is a large range of natural refrigerants including ammonia, CO2, and the most common of which are hydrocarbons, propane and isobutene.
- Zero ozone depletion potential (ODP)
- Very low global warming potential (GWP)
- Highly energy efficient in small systems
- Excellent thermodynamic properties and no refrigeration glide
- Large installed base for commercial application across Europe
Timeline of Implementation
(This timeline was updated July 19, 2017)
All Master-Bilt® products will be SNAP certified before the mandated conversion deadline. Our updated timeline for implementation of the AIR Initiative is as follows:
Click on links below to download.