Master-Bilt® Refrigeration News & Product Information
The Top Five Advantages Of Polyurethane Foam
From the outside, it’s hard to tell one typical walk-in panel from another. It’s what’s on the inside that counts. At the heart of all panels is insulation and the type of insulation used sets one panel apart from another. There are several different kinds of insulation out there but foamed-in-place polyurethane provides many advantages over other types. Here are five reasons polyurethane is the best choice…
- Superior moisture resistance and rigidity due to polyurethane’s 97% closed cell content. Polyurethane insulation is made up of individual cells that are either open or closed. Open cell insulation tends to be softer and more flexible because the cells are not completely encapsulated. However, with closed cell, the cells are completely closed and firmly pressed together which adds structural strength and drives out air and moisture.
- Higher R-values than other types of panels. An R-value is the resistance to heat flow in an insulating material. The higher the R-value, the greater the insulating power. Polyurethane offers a higher R-value than most other options and meets or exceeds Department of Energy R-value requirements for walk-in coolers and freezers.
- Polyurethane provides maximum cooling performance with thinner walls which increases walk-in storage space. Other insulating materials like polystyrene would have to be much thicker to equal the performance of polyurethane. For example, it would take eight inches of polystyrene to equal the insulation ability of four inches of polyurethane.
- Polyurethane foam permanently adheres to metal panels adding strength and reliability. Some other insulating materials must be glued to the exterior metal “skin” and can separate over time.
- HFO foam is environmentally friendly with zero ozone depleting substances as well as being below the global warming potential requirements of the EPA SNAP regulation.
When considering what type of panel to use, remember that panels, like books, can’t be judged strictly by their covers. Do some research and make sure you are getting the best insulation.